Worlds - History Simulator
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
'Worlds' is a simulator intended to recreate human history all the way from its origins in alternate world settings.
- A 2D cell-based terrain generator that creates continent-based worlds with semi-realistic temperature, rainfall patterns, and drainage basins. Biomes, like deserts, forests, and rivers, are assigned to each cell based on its specific climate.
- An alternate 3D globe visualization of the map with a simulated, cosmetic day/night cycle.
- A map editor that allows you to modify the terrain in multiple ways: Offset the global seal levels, temperatures and global rainfall. Or use a brush to tweaks individual attributes on each cell.
- Humanity starts from a single place on the map, either chosen by you or random, and spreads all over the world, adapting along the way to the diverse environments.
- Populations in different places grow and evolve, diverging socially and technologically over time under the influence of environmental factors and interactions with other cultures.
- Population groups can join and form basic political and territorial entities (polities). Each which might in turn develop its own language and culture.
- Multiple map modes and overlays that will allow you to observe how human groups differ from each other on multiple aspects, from population densities to cultural attributes and technological advancements.
- You can take over polity factions and have some level of influence on events that happen to them.
- Mod Support: You can create and add mods to customize or add biomes, add layers, add region elements, and even add or modify discoveries to be made by the humans of your worlds.
Planned features (see also the roadmap):
- World Generation:
- Improve the world generation process to add more geological features and adhere to the theory of plate tectonics.
- Add oceanic current. These will have an effect on climates, fishing and maritime routes.
- Add geological/planetary events: volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, climate change, etc.
- Add more customizable world generation parameters, templates and modding.
- Add support for bigger/smaller worlds.
- History Simulation:
- Add more production activities like herding, crafting, trading, etc.
- Add cultural values to societies which will influence how different human groups behave, evolve and interact with each other.
- Add more abstract cultural identification/separation mechanics (art, social customs, sports).
- Add cults/religions which might expand and influence societies.
- Add population centers (villages, towns, cities) to which populations will migrate and where more complex production systems (industries) can evolve.
- Add a more robust agricultural system where different crops can be planted and harvested, and different animals can be domesticated and exploited.
- Add to polities more complex politics, different forms of government and different social structures (ie. clan systems, caste/class based societies, egalitarian societies).
- Add diplomatic interactions between polities: conflicts, treaties, alliances, etc.
- Add trading routes between cities and polities.
- Add more modding support
- User Interface:
- Add more and improved visualization overlays and views.
- Add data graphs and a history log viewer.
- Add a 3D globe view.
- Add basic UI sounds.
- Add a procedural music generator that creates music tailored to individual cultures.
- User/Player Interactions:
- Improve a player's ability to take control/influence individual polities.
- Add the ability to 'time-travel' to arbitrary periods in a world's past without the necessity to load a save.
- Add an in-engine time-lapse viewer/player.
Join the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldhistorysim/
Support the project on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/DrTardigrade
|Updated||6 days ago|
|Tags||Alternate History, Procedural Generation|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution v4.0 International|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Links||Patreon, Homepage, Twitter, Community|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Action Category Mod Scripts6 days ago
- Action Mod Scripts13 days ago
- The Action Toolbar20 days ago
- Fixing Core Distance Issues27 days ago
- Improved Territory Formation34 days ago
- Reworking Territories41 days ago
- Improved Tribal Expansion48 days ago
- Migratory Mishaps55 days ago