Worlds: History Simulator
A downloadable game for Windows
'Worlds' is a simulator intended to recreate human history all the way from its origins in alternate world settings.
- A 2D cell-based terrain generator that creates continent-based worlds with semi-realistic temperature and rainfall patterns. Biomes, like deserts and forests, are assigned to each cell based on its specific climate.
- An alternate 3D globe visualization of the map with a simulated, cosmetic day/night cycle.
- A map editor that allows you to modify the terrain in multiple ways: Offset the global seal levels, temperatures and global rainfall. Or use a brush to tweaks individual attributes on each cell.
- Humanity starts from a single place on the map, either chosen by you or random, and spreads all over the world, adapting along the way to the diverse environments.
- Populations in different places grow and evolve, diverging socially and technologically over time under the influence of environmental factors and interactions with other cultures.
- Population groups can join and form basic political and territorial entities (polities). Each which might in turn develop its own language and culture.
- Multiple map modes and overlays that will allow you to observe how human groups differ from each other on multiple aspects, from population densities to cultural attributes and technological advancements.
- You can take over polity factions and have some level of influence on events that happen to them.
Planned features (see also the roadmap):
- World Generation:
- Add oceanic current. These will have an effect on climates, fishing and maritime routes.
- Add drainage basins that will give raise to, rivers, aquifers and associated biomes.
- Add geological/planetary events: volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, climate change, etc.
- Add more customizable world generation parameters, templates and modding.
- Add the ability to import custom world maps and population/polity setups.
- Add support for bigger/smaller worlds.
- History Simulation:
- Add more production activities like fishing, herding, crafting.
- Add cultural values to societies which will influence how different human groups behave, evolve and interact with each other.
- Add more abstract cultural identification/separation mechanics (art, social customs, sports).
- Add cults/religions which might expand and influence societies.
- Add population centers (villages, towns, cities) to which populations will migrate and where more complex production systems (industries) can evolve.
- Add a more robust agricultural system where different crops can be planted and harvested, and different animals can be domesticated and exploited.
- Add to polities more complex politics, different forms of government and different social structures (ie. clan systems, caste/class based societies, egalitarian societies).
- Add diplomatic interactions between polities: conflicts, treaties, alliances, etc.
- Add trading routes between cities and polities.
- Add modding for cultural attributes, political systems and events.
- User Interface:
- Add the ability to zoom into regions/polities.
- Add more and improved visualization overlays and views.
- Add data graphs and a history log viewer.
- Add a 3D globe view.
- Add basic UI sounds.
- Add a procedural music generator that creates music tailored to individual cultures.
- User/Player Interactions:
- Improve a player's ability to take control/influence individual polities.
- Add the ability to 'time-travel' to arbitrary periods in a world's past without the necessity to load a save.
- Add an in-engine timelapse viewer/player.
Join the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldhistorysim/
Support the project on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/DrTardigrade
|Updated||1 day ago|
|Tags||Alternate History, Procedural Generation|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution v4.0 International|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Links||Patreon, Homepage, Twitter, Community|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- River Region Attributes and Elements1 day ago
- Editor Brushes and Rivers8 days ago
- Improved Terrain Generation and River Strength15 days ago
- Better Rivers23 days ago
- Rivers, Lakes and Erosion30 days ago
- Drainage Basins37 days ago
- Rudders, Keels and Fishing44 days ago
- Terraced Irrigation, Slash-and-Burn, and some Extras...51 days ago